- Homework Policy (276KB)
- KS2 Spelling Overview (538KB)
Reading and phonics
- Children will only read books that are entirely decodable, this means that they should be able to read these books as they already know the code contained within the book.
- We only use pure sounds when decoding words (no ‘uh’ after the sound)
- We want children to practise reading their book 4 times across the week working on these skills:
Decode – sounding out and blending to read the word.
Fluency – reading words with less obvious decoding.
Expression – using intonation and expression to bring the text to life!
We must use pure sounds when we are pronouncing the sounds and supporting children in reading words. If we mispronounce these sounds, we will make reading harder for our children. Please watch the videos below for how to accurately pronounce these sounds.
At the beginning of each academic year, we will hold an information session for parents and carers to find out more about what we do for Phonics, Reading and English at our schools. Please do join us.
More support for parents and carers can be found here:
Recommended Reading Lists
- Reception Recommended Reads (21MB)
- Year 1 Recommended Reads (30KB)
- Year 2 Recommended Reads (198KB)
- Year 3 Recommended Reads (358KB)
- Year 4 Recommended Reads (18MB)
- Year 5 Recommended Reads (132KB)
- Year 6 Recommended Reads (362KB)
- Reception Maths Strategies (168KB)